Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rachel_garrett26

Nuage Quartzite - any water issues?

Rachel Garrett
last month

Here's a picture of one of the two slabs of Nuage Quartzite I have reserved for my kitchen. I do love it! My worry is: Could this be one of the "thirsty" acid washed quartzites that show lots of water spots?

Comments (18)

• chicagoans
    last month

Will they give you a sample to take home and test? If not, there are a few things you can try at the stone yard (if they'll let you.) Here's an article written by a Houzz user who is also a geologist.

• Rachel Garrett
    Original Author
    last month

Good thoughts! I'm working on getting a sample.

• Rachel Garrett
    Original Author
    17 days ago

Guys, the fabricator gave me a sample to test and it did awesome. Then they installed the countertops, and they stained with oil the first day when I cooked dinner that night! Grease came out of the pan and onto the counter. I've tested side-by-side the sample they gave and my counter. My counter has a faint stain in 15-20 minutes of a tiny dab of oil. After 1.5-2 hours, it's a deep, dark stain. However, I can leave a thick puddle of grease on the sample, and nothing! It washes off great without a trace. Does not seem above board to me!!

• dani_m08
    16 days ago

Rachel - that makes no sense - if the sample they gave you is the same as the slab. I would be VERY upset also. The slab is beautiful. Did they seal the sample - and your slab - with the same type of sealer?

I would be contacting your fabricator (if that’s who you bought the slab from - that’s how it works where I live - you go see slabs at various places and then receive a price from your fabricator).

You deserve answers. Please let us know what happens.

• Rachel Garrett
    Original Author
    16 days ago

Thank you, Dani, I agree. They are trying to tell me that I should expect quartzite to potentially stain anytime water or other liquid is not wiped away immediately. They said they sealed it twice. I'm not buying this story -- Either they didn't seal it properly or there is something wrong with the material. It feels like they just don't want to be responsible for their product/work. Before these issues they had a completely different description of what quartzite should be able to handle, and when I point that out, they just keep saying that this is normal for quartzite and my issues are due to me not cleaning the liquid away quickly enough. For anyone in Central Ohio: I recommend you avoid Granite Direct

• dani_m08
    16 days ago

Rachel - if their explanation is correct, then how do they explain how your sample didn’t absorb the items you put on it (and left for a bit, I assume)???!!!?!?!??!?

Plus, they are calling you a liar - you’ve told them that you cleaned it up and didn’t let it just sit there for hours.

I am in a crabby mood - and am stuck at home bc of health stuff = I’m happy to provide you with some pointers re: your legal rights (I’m an attorney).

• Rachel Garrett
    Original Author
    16 days ago

Dani, that would be amazing! Here's a picture of the sample of Nuage they gave me. In the top left you see I put a big thick glob of bacon grease. There is also hot sauce, ketchup, a pickle, salad dressing, and lemon juice. I left it like this overnight and washed with water and dish soap in the morning. No marks at all except from the lemon juice! And this was consistent with what they were telling me at the time: The one thing I would need to avoid was leaving something highly acidic on the countertop for an extended period of time, such as overnight. But actually even that the lemon juice mark on the sample is lighter in color than the bacon grease mark on my counter after it sat just 1.5-2 hrs.

• dani_m08
    15 days ago

Push the issue with your fabricator/installer. Show them your sample - in person - tell them to come look at your countertop + sample in your kitchen. Send it to them in writing if at all possible (need to keep a paper trail).

They are used to people dropping the issue once they tell them that it was something they did - they are not used to a homeowner pushing the issue.

If they won’t come look at it - the next step will be a letter. . .

Let me know!

• dani_m08
    15 days ago
    last modified: 15 days ago

also - look up “how to remove oil stain from quarzite“ on here. There are ingredients that you can use to try to draw the oil out of the stone (baking soda/baking powder is one of the ingredients). You put the poultice down on countertop + cover with plastic wrap + painter’s tape (I think - it needs to be ”sealed” in order to work). I think you leave it on for maybe 12-24 hrs.

There are also ones you can purchase - I bought one made by Stonetech to use on my marble countertop in one of my bathrooms. It seems like people have had good luck with homemade versions though.

It doesn’t work when silicone bleeds occur on quarzite countertops - but I think it almost always does for oil.

Ask them if it’s okay for you to try a poultice before you do it. You don’t want them to try to use it against you later = you damaged the stone by using it. Make sure that is in writing - or record it (I need to check something first re: recording it).

Okay - it appears that you are able to record a call or conversations in person without their knowledge because Ohio is a ”one party consent” state.

The above is not legal advice - just information based upon a quick google search re: recording conversarions in Ohio.

• Rachel Garrett
    Original Author
    14 days ago

Dani, thanks! They are coming this afternoon to try to remove the stains, and we will record the conversation. I sent a very detailed email that outlined all the reasons that we had to expect better performance from the countertops. They said at first all they would do was try to get the stains out this one time and then leave me a bottle of sealer. I told them that doesn't address my concern of the succepsblility of the countertops to staining. Eventually they said they'll seal them "again" and try to improve the situation. We will see!

• Rachel Garrett
    Original Author
    14 days ago

Update: Today the service crew came to look at the countertops. They put a white paste on the stains from oil/grease. It needs to stay on for two days and will have fumes for two days. They left some for us to use for future stains. They recommended covering the countertops with something whenever I cook so that no oil touches the countertops. They said to expect rings from cups that have condensation on them. Guys, this is why I did not buy marble ... We have three kids, we are busy, and we use the kitchen A LOT. They also resealed the countertops. Time will tell how much that helps. But it is at least clear that they were NOT sealed when they were installed. They may have been sealed before install, but not after the way I was told. We did not have this type of fumes and color change in the stone when it was installed.

• chicagoans
    14 days ago

I’m sorry this is happening to you! Did they reseal first and then put on the white paste? I’m not a pro but it seems like the poultice would need to do its work first, and then reseal happens. Maybe someone can clarify.

• vinmarks
    14 days ago

Are you sure the sample you were given is the same stone? It looks different.

• Rachel Garrett
    Original Author
    10 days ago

Vinmarks, good question. I double checked with them when they gave it to me, and they said the sample was Nuage but from a different lot.

Chicagoans, they told me to seal the parts of the countertops where the paste was myself after I took the paste off.

Good news: The stains all came out, and the countertops resist grease now that they are properly sealed! Still get water marks, but at least they fade. We figured out why they were not sealed well: The installer not only did not do the second round of sealer I was told he would, he actually rubbed the countertop down with acetone before he left! He had spilled caulking and was trying to get the caulking off...and in the process stripped off the sealer that had been applied in the warehouse. Sheesh! Just have to laugh at this point

• chicagoans
    9 days ago

I'm so glad it worked out, because that stone is beautiful!

• dani_m08
    8 days ago

@Rachel Garrett - so happy to hear that the stains came out! I don't know why I didn't add that to my first comment! I think maybe it was because I waw thinking about the issues some quartzite owners are having related to silicone bleeds - which cannot be removed with a poultice.

I can't believe that he removed all of the sealer by rubbing the counter down with acetone - and didn't explain that a new coat of sealer would need to be added.

In any event, I am happy that it has worked out. Just make sure that you re-seal the counters when needed. I was told that once water drops started being aborbed into the stone right away, that it was time for a new coat.

I am also happy about that they figured out what happened re: your countertops because I am now thinking of looking for a similar slab to have my floating vanity made out of for my powder room. I have several types of slabs "saved" as possible options already - but yours looks very pretty in the photos - so, now I need to see a slab in person!

• Rachel Garrett
    Original Author
    8 days ago

@dani_m08 Thank you! Yes, the countertops are pretty - they have that going for them! Here are a couple pics so you can see them without stains. I still need to do backsplash, paint, and more, but the countertops were step one of our plans.